What box types are referred to as ecommerce packaging?
Ecommerce packaging refers to various types of branded boxes that can be used to package & ship products to customers. Popular options include one-piece mailer boxes, easy fold mailers, and side loader boxes or cartons.
What size options are available for branded ecommerce packaging?
We can produce ecommerce packaging in any custom size to meet your specific requirements. Our sales team can help you explore various box types, size options, and provide a customized price quote along with specific design templates.
Can you also provide inserts to go with custom ecommerce packaging?
Yes, we can produce a wide variety of inserts. These inserts can be produced using regular cardstock or corrugated stock. We can also produce foam inserts that have custom cutouts to fit a product’s shape and size for a snug fit.
What stock options are available for custom printed ecommerce packaging?
For boxes that are used for direct shipping and handling, we recommend using corrugated boxes. Our corrugated boxes have a layer of coated cardstock on the outside for extra strength. The inside of corrugated boxes is typically either plain white or natural brown. Other color options are also available as needed.
Can corrugated boxes have full color printing on the outside and inside?
Yes, we can produce spot colors as well as a full color CMYK print on boxes made from corrugated stock. These boxes can have full color printing on the inside also.
What type of finishes can ecommerce packaging have?
Finishing options include gloss or matte lamination, AQ coating, spot UV coating, and foil stamping.
White: SBS (C1S), SBS (C2S), Uncoated Stock, Textured Stock
Metalized Card: Silver, Gold, Holographic
Brown: Natural Brown Kraft Card Stock
White Front Colored Back: CCNB (Grey Back), CCKB (Kraft Back)
Shipping Boxes: White or Brown Corrugated Stock or Forte
Cardstock Thickness: 12pt, 14pt, 18pt, 24pt, Custom
Corrugated Stock: 3-ply corrugated
Lamination: Gloss, Matte, Sandy Matte, Soft Touch, Pattern
Coating: Gloss AQ, Satin, Varnish, Spot UV, Flood UV
Ribbons and Handles
Scoring and Gluing
|SKU# || RP-047 |
Navigating the World of E-commerce Packaging: A Comprehensive Guide
E-commerce packaging refers to boxes, envelopes, protective padding, and other materials used to ship goods that are primarily sold online. As the e-commerce industry grows, packaging has become an increasingly important consideration for businesses due to its impact on customer satisfaction, brand perception, fulfillment costs, and environmental sustainability.
E-commerce packaging spans several critical elements that work together to ensure product protection during transit. These elements include protective packaging products such as corrugated boxes, mailers, packaging inserts, bubble wrap, and air pillows. Beyond the practical purpose of protection, these packaging elements can also be custom printed with brand-specific information by integrating custom elements, such as logos or distinctive designs that align with the brand colors in order to enhance brand identity. Using suitable packaging materials reduces the risk of damage and returns, saving manufacturers money on replacements and shipping costs. Manufacturers can also minimize fulfillment and shipping costs by using packaging materials that are lightweight and easy to ship. Similarly, easy-to-open packaging enhances the customer experience, while easy-to-pack methods save businesses time and effort during shipping. As a crucial customer touchpoint in the online shopping experience, effective packaging can empower businesses to distinguish themselves in a fiercely competitive e-commerce landscape while also reducing costs.
Another way businesses show their commitment to sustainability is by reducing their environmental impact. In response to growing environmental concerns among consumers, many businesses have begun adopting environmentally friendly packaging in their operations, including recyclable cardboard boxes and kraft boxes, and offering information on recycling instructions that are printed directly onto the packaging itself.
Functional and Promotional Uses of E-commerce Packaging
E-commerce packaging comes in many forms to meet the unique needs of different products and the brand preferences of businesses. The most commonly used types include:
- Mailer Boxes: These are typically used for smaller items and are ideal for brands emphasizing a custom unboxing experience. They are made of corrugated cardboard and often include custom branding on the exterior and interior.
- Shipping Cartons: Made from corrugated cardboard, these boxes are used for shipping larger or more fragile items. They can be produced in custom sizes and further personalized with branding. These boxes are typically used in combination with other protective packaging materials.
- Bubble Wrap Mailers: Ideal for small and non-fragile items, bubble wrap mailers are envelopes with bubble wrap lining the interior for added protection. They are lightweight and take up less space than boxes, which can help to minimize shipping costs.
- Poly Mailers: These are lightweight, waterproof plastic envelopes. They are ideal for shipping apparel or other items requiring little protection. Like bubble wrap mailers, they also help save on shipping costs due to their lightweight.
- Rigid Boxes: These sturdy, high-quality boxes offer excellent product protection. They are often used for luxury goods or premium products. Rigid boxes are more expensive than other options but offer a high-end unboxing experience.
- Packaging Inserts: These are used inside boxes to secure and protect the product. They can include materials like bubble wrap, air pillows, packing peanuts, corrugated inserts, foam inserts, crumpled paper, and more. Inserts can also be used to provide product information or marketing materials.
- Packaging Tape: Packaging tape is essential to e-commerce packaging. It is used to secure packages and protect the items inside during transit. A custom-printed tape with your logo or design significantly impacts the overall packaging and delivery experience.
- Labels: Labels are vital to e-commerce packaging, serving both functional and promotional purposes. They ensure smooth delivery as shipping labels and product labels provide essential details about the contents. Additionally, promotional and brand labels can help advertise offers and boost brand recognition.
Packaging Guidelines for Successful E-commerce Shipping
All courier companies, including Canada post, FedEx, UPS, Purolator and Canpar Express provide essential guidelines for packaging items to ensure a safe and secure shipment. Here are some of the key points:
- Use Quality Materials: All courier companies recommend using high-quality materials including double-walled corrugated boxes to ensure maximum protection.
- Cushioning: Sufficient cushioning such as bubble wrap, corrugated/foam inserts, or packing peanuts should be used, especially for fragile items.
- Sealing: Use at least 2 inches wide strong, pressure-sensitive plastic tape to seal shipping cartons. Tape should be applied to both the top and bottom of the box for closure.
- Labeling: Place a shipping label on the top of the box. Make sure it is secure, legible, and easily visible. The label should contain the complete and accurate address of the recipient. If necessary, include a duplicate label or packing slip inside the box.
- Size and Weight: Ensure the package meets the carriers' size and weight restrictions. Avoid overstuffing the box, which can cause it to burst open during transit.
- Special Shipments: Courier companies provide additional guidelines for special items like liquids, perishables, or fragile items. It is essential to comply with these specific requirements.
- Prohibited Items: Each carrier has a list of prohibited shipping items. Make sure your products are not on these lists.
Remember to regularly check the shipping company websites to keep updated on any changes to packaging guidelines. Proper packaging is crucial to ensure your products reach customers in a good condition.